.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Picture this…

Occasionally, different streets at Jojoba Hills have get-togethers for members of their little neighborhoods.  Tonight, the Granite Loop (that I live on) had a holiday potluck dinner down at the Ranch House.  Normally, I’m not much for these social gatherings, but I made an exception for tonight.  I thought it would be a good idea to meet my neighbors.  I’m glad I did.  The folks surrounding me at the table I sat at were most interesting.  Some were founding members that have been here since the early 90’s, while others were even newer members than I.  All had the common ground of having lived on the road, and the tales were fascinating.  It was good to have interesting conversations other than the state of the weather…especially for someone that lives solo.

But what I really want to talk about tonight is another challenge I’m facing.  Does anyone remember the Golden Girls TV show?  If you do, you may remember that Sophia always started a story she was about to tell with…”Picture this…”

I’d been having some trouble with water pressure since I’ve been here.  The pressure at the spigot is super strong, and I have a pressure gauge on my hose that keeps the pressure down to 40-50 PSI.  However, there was barely a dribble coming out of my faucets in the rig.  Very frustrating.  Next to impossible to take a shower, etc.  Wasn’t too happy since I had just replaced the gauge this past summer.  So, I ordered a new gauge from Amazon.  In the meantime, I removed the gauge from my hose and barely turned on the water at the spigot.  I did notice a slight leak at the kitchen faucet.

Fast forward to getting the new gauge and installing it.  Now, the water pressure is good.  Not too strong, and not too weak. 

IMG_2514

So, ‘Picture This’… I’m in the middle of washing dishes the other night, and the curved tube faucet head blasts off of the lower base and hits the cabinets above the sink.  In it’s wake is an Old Faithful geyser spraying everywhere!  I’m stunned!  By the time I had gathered my wits about me, I’m soaked as well as everything else in the area.  Surprised smile  Eventually I was able to shove the tube back into the base after I shut the water off.  I’ve tried super gluing it back in, but that didn’t work.  I’ve had several showers since. Crying face

Tomorrow, I’m off to Home Depot to get a new faucet.  I just hope what they have will work with the fittings in the rig.  Anyone know the answer to that?  And then there’s the chore of installing it.  I’m not sure I can get the old fixture out let alone get the new one in without leaks.  Not looking forward to squeezing under the sink either.  How does one fit in that skinny cabinet??  Uff-dah! 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

31 comments:

  1. Hey Judy..I've replaced two sink faucets in my R.V.'s..Never had an issue with the fittings..Nothing we can do about crawling under there, and I'm not very big.
    Good Luck,
    Upriver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, make your life easier and buy or rent a "faucet wrench" --, it'll simplify the frustration felt squeezing under the sink to loosen the big nut holding the old faucet to the underside of the counter. Also, consider spending a little more for a faucet with a head that can be pulled out to fill big pots. It makes rinsing stuff easier, too. Good luck, you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh rats. I tried the same thing and blew out the water pump in the sun cruiser. Should have just filled the water tank and used it. I replaced a bathroom faucet with one from home depot it should work fine. Getting in there is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I've replace numerous sink faucets (former Handyman Co.) and assure you the ones at Home Depot or Lowes will most likely fit without any problem. I caution you that working under a sink is no picnic and as mentioned above, it's important to have the correct tools. It helps to have someone to hand you tools, etc. so you don't have to crawl in and out of that cabinet and to share the misery with you. You might be wise to find a local handyman to do the installation since you don't have the tools or experience.

    Good luck on what ever you decide! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't found any Rv repairs to be easy, and the working area is so tight, it just makes it even more difficult. Do you have a way to turn off the water to just the kitchen sink? Some rv's have that option (we do) and it makes it much easier, in case you have to make a few trips to Home Depot for parts. That way you have access to a bathroom if it takes awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking, "call the RV repair guy."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill's our handyman and if we were close he'd be over to fix your faucet. I'm no help... except to drive to Home Depot or be the "gofer" for tools etc. Hope you get fixed up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done a few in our rv's and the fitting have worked, not easy to get at, just take your time or a local handyman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Home Depot or Lowes may offer installation. I do not know what they charge, but it is worth asking.

    Please be careful on the road.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Locate a skinny new neighbor, bake them a pie or something as a welcome to the neighborhood, then say OBTW, can I ask a favor. Seriously, I would ask at the office if there's any handymen living within the park.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched some U tube videos before attempting to do one. It made it look easy however, the 5 minutes that the u tube took to do the project took a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There has got to be a handyman in the park that would be willing to help you. We have several guys in our small park here that love having something mechanical, plumbing or electrical to do. Just ask around. There is no way I could down and under the sink to replace anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure an upscale RV resort like Jojoba Hills has a list in the office of recommended mobile RV repairmen - after all, everyone in there will need help with something at one time or another - due to your unique location and membership, I bet there are mobile services and delivery people in Temecula who would perform everything from mobile repairs, vet services, beauticians, and food delivery - maybe even sponge candy !! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim had a hard time replacing our faucet with so little room to work. But the Home Depot guy helped him find the right fittings. He took a couple photos of the the pipes and connections under the sink to make it easier to find the right ones.
    Have you met John and Linda Leach yet? John loves helping with things like that. Tell him Jim and Gayle recommended him. He's a super nice guy, very handy, and he'll work for wine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup, Sophia always said "Picture this" And Rosanna Rosanna Danna said "It's always something".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, it is a tight fit under those sinks!!! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suppose a sign is out of the question. Man wanted but only for plumbing skills:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Paul Weaver, Janna and Mike, Jerry C, Jim and Sandie, Moonfly13 & Jim and Gayle. Why are you even thinking about doing it yourself without the know how and tools. Get-er-done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would ask at the office, too. The previous commenters are right, I think. There must be someone in the park who can do it for you - even if they do it for pay, it hourly fee would be so much less than a RV repair company. If they are neighbors, they want to do it right, and if there's a problem, they are right there to come over and correct it. I'd get the park repair guy set up first and ask him what he would suggest as far as the hardware. Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't even try to install a new faucet. Get someone to do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't that why you go meet the neighbors? So they can have the opportunity to help you with things like this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you're a multi-tasker, washing dishes and taking a shower at the same time... :cP

    ReplyDelete
  23. For sure, ask at the park. Tell someone in the office your story and ask what they suggest. I'm sure you can get someone to do it for you. Plumbing is tricky it seems to me even if you don't have to do pipe fittings and use plumbing sealant or teflon tape. I say, "pass the buck".

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am definitely not a handy man, but sounds like a new faucet would be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We got a new faucet for hour Hiker...one with a hose, and Den bought it a Home Depot, Lowes, Menards (he isn't sure). Just a regular faucet, not necessarily an RV faucet..But then...he is a MacGyver. You need to select a hunky 73 year old like Dennis ..

    ReplyDelete
  26. I rate changing out plumbing the same way I rate cleaning and sealing the roof. . .there's people for that. . .worth every penny. . .good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gosh soooooooo much free advice ........ With humor no less !!!! Sounds like the HANDYMAN wins out ...... Sure hope there is a four star guy right around the corner ..... You and Emma relax and let the guy wedge in under the sink !!! How about the gent that works for wine ??? That 's a start with a reference !!! Good luck all the way around !!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for posting about the water pressure. I have had low pressure while here in TX. Assumed parks were trying to save water due to drought or maybe save money. Put on a new pressure regulator today and its back to normal.

    ReplyDelete


  29. a medium pressure will blow up this faucet hahaha



    Indoor Cannabis

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea thanks for sharing.
    Game ស្លត់អនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete