.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Trivial pursuits of the mind

With only two weeks to go at this assignment, I’m getting my usual anxiousness about moving on.  I’m anxious to move one, but also anxious about the journey involved.  Long time readers know the actual driving from place to place is not one of my favorite things.  I need to keep my mind busy as the days roll down so I don’t center on the possible catastrophes and challenges that seem to inevitably plague me. 

IMG_0177To that end, happily my good friend Bugman Jack decided to spend a week at Jojoba SKP RV Resort so he could provide me with some pictures of the site where I’ll be living this winter.  Google Earth pictures are nice, but seeing the actual site from ground level was better.  I had accepted this site without ever even seeing it in person.

IMG_0183

That’s it… site 228.  Looks like it even comes with a bird feeder and little bird house on the fence.  A couple of bushes too.  The gal in the office told me that she thought it only had a couple of paver blocks.

IMG_0182

I think this will pretty much be my view from the patio as I look out towards the mountains.  Not too shabby.  At least I don’t have another rig directly in front of me blocking the view.  I’ll be up on one of the tiers.

IMG_0188

It is a pull through site.  Each site in the park has an 8X30’ patio, and a storage shed.  You can see the site delineation line by the change in gravel types.  I think my site goes to that big rock on the left.  I can sort of picture chairs and a table with an umbrella on the terra cotta colored pavers to the left of the cement patio.  I think I’ll enjoy that view to the northeast.  See that tree behind and to the right of the big rock?

IMG_0186 IMG_0187

It turns out it’s an orange tree.  What a bonus!  Now I’m thinking I’d like to put in a lemon tree as well.  I even know someone in the park who might mentor me on how to best take care of it.  I see fresh squeezed orange juice in my future!  I guess I’m getting a little ahead of myself here, but at least it keeps my mind busy.

After working the overlook the last two days, I also did my nesting seabird presentation last night for the campers in the park.  It was the fifth time I did it, and we certainly had a lot of fun.  I even had a number of the folks that attended the program visit me today down at the overlook.  They were thrilled to see the birds that I had talked about.  Only one more of those presentations to do before I put the pedal to the metal.  Winking smile  Yep, I’m in counting down mode now.

_MG_2327

When I got back to the rig from the overlook today, I had another little mystery appear while I was gone to keep me thinking.

_MG_2323

There was this fresh, moist, and rather large pile of soil just before my steps.  What the heck?  Where did this come from?  It wasn’t there when I left about 9:00.  When I opened up the door to the rig and brought Emma out, she immediately started sniffing it and scratching around in it.  That confirmed to me that I hadn’t missed it earlier this morning.

_MG_2325

Then, both Emma and I noticed this large bulge under the new outside rug.  That wasn’t there this morning either.  I was almost afraid to touch it with my foot… fearing some animal might be under it.

_MG_2326

Eventually I got up the gumption to pull the rug back and take a look.  It was another pile of wet soil.  We’ve only had two little sprinkles of rain in the over two months I’ve been here.  The rug wasn’t torn up or moved or anything.  There was just that big bulge.  I have no idea what kind of varmint could have caused these big mounds.  Just something else for me to think about, I guess.

Tomorrow after work, I’ll be trying to figure out what to pack for a little three day visit that Emma and I are going to make to visit Sue and Mo in Rocky Point.  I can almost count on one hand the number of times in the last nine years that I have had to pack for a trip away from the rig.  It’ll be another one of those trivial pursuits of the mind to keep me busy, and boy am I ever looking forward to this ‘distraction’!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. I think site 228 looks like it has wonderful views, and I think you will be happy here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing your new home site at Jojoba, Judy. We are also really looking forward to your visit. The cabin is ready! But, dang it, the smoke from California blew in this evening, in addition to the smoke from our own fire northeast of Medford. It's nasty. I saw on the smoke plume map on weatherunderground that you even have heavy smoke in Brookings from the California fires. Take care and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a mysterious pile of dirt?
    We love travelling, but don't much enjoy packing to leave our coach/house.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good mystery.... now you have me wondering what critter visited you and what they were after.... hope you find the answer before it's time to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your site looks huge. The view is so pretty. Everyone we know that lives or visits that park loves it.
    Looking forward to seeing what that dirt criminal looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The winter site looks great. Looking forward to that orange juice myself! :) Have a great mini trip. And the mystery pile of dirt? Maybe a gopher type of animal? Hopefully it's long gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm? Do they have woodchucks out there?...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You also have the Signature/Name bush, JoJoba, shown in the foreground of picture #3. Good looking space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new site Judy!
    Hope you solve the dirty mystery...we are all curious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everybody loves a good mystery but we all, of course, want an answer. Hint hint. I think you are really going to enjoy your new site. Nice and big with gorgeous views.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Say hello to Sue and Mo for us. They are delightful gals. We enjoyed that area very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An Orange tree!! Good for you. Looks like lots of hard surface to me ...good thing there is a dog park for Emma, you will have to watch the pads of her feet:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Judy you hit a home run with your new home. It looks beautiful! Wishing you many happy hours wintering there, just don't overdo it on the OJ, leave a little for the rest of us... :c)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had black dirt like that all over our back porch, but a hanging basket used to plant flowers, etc. fell down and spilled its dirt out. In your case, I have no idea what caused it. Let us know if you ever find out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you winter spot looks fantastic. Way to go Jack, thanks for the pictures! I just know you are going to so enjoy being fully retired Judy. That orange tree is the bees knees for sure! No idea about the black dirt but can't wait to find out. What fun to take a trip to see Sue and Mo. Lucky you, lucky them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bet it's a gopher. They love to make dirt piles. I thought you were going to hang around up there for a couple of weeks, waiting for cooler weather down south. Yes? No? We're hoping to hit the road about the time your assignment there ends. We were also planning to visit Sue and Mo, but I've already smelled enough wildfire smoke this season, so I'm not sure what we'll do, which direction we'll go....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your Jojoba Hills site--nice view!! We have lemon, orange and grapefruit trees in Arizona--I too am looking forward to all that fruit! Here's hoping you have an uneventful trip to the next spot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm guessing pocket gopher. We had them at the campground in CO Springs. The ground would be flat one minute, and you'd come back and there would be this pile of fresh dirt appearing out of nowhere. I actually got to watch one of them in action. I didn't have my video camera and didn't get up to get it for fear of scaring the little guy away. I watched him dig out the hole, and then he pulled the dirt back over the hole after he got inside it.

    Your spot in Jojoba Hills looks like it will be a nice one for you to chill when you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the mound of dirt is probably caused by a mole. They travel underground in tunners and occasionally need to remove the dirt by pushing it up to the surface. This will leave a big mounds of dirt all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That looks like a real winner of a site you've scored for the winter! I know what you mean about traveling. I like being in a new place most oft the time and even enjoy the drive . . . to a certain point. That's one reason I'm glad we do shorter miles these days when on the road. I most enjoy being in one spot for at least a few days. Really happy for you about the site. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your site looks really nice. Have a nice visit with Sue n Mo. then you will be ready for your new adventure for the winter

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your winter site looks really nice with a great view

    ReplyDelete
  23. As long as who ever made the pile had legs and feet, I would be OK with it:))

    ReplyDelete