.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Now this is the way to enjoy a day off!

With Sue and Mo still visiting, I had a much more exciting day off yesterday than usual.  I picked them up at 9:00 and we headed out to hike the Painted Desert Trail on the refuge.

_MG_1438

It was a sunny day with temps in the upper 40’s when we started out.  This trail is 1.3 miles in length and includes some ups and downs.  The last time I did it, I needed a boost to get up one of the rustic steps along the way.  It was just too tall for me.  I guess it must have been fixed a little because I was slowly able to do the whole trail under my own power.

_MG_1439

The early morning light helped bring out the shadows and beautiful colors of this trail.  According to Sue, not much of anything has grown along this area for millions of years.  I can tell you that it was a thrill to have my own soil scientist explaining all this rock stuff to me along the way.  I can tell you about birds and such, but I don’t know squat about geology.

_MG_1442

As I’ve driven across this country, I’ve often wished that Sue was in my passenger’s seat to educate me on the wonders of the different terrains I was seeing.  For a brief time, my wish came true.  Smile Of course, before our paths crossed last year in Anahuac NWR, I expected her to be a rather bookish professor type person.  Ha!  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I appreciate the joviality of her soul.

_MG_1445

I took advantage of the couple of cement benches along the trail to sit and enjoy the views.  Mo did the same before we headed down into the wash.  Since washes occasionally have water, that’s where you’ll find the Palo Verde and Ironwood trees.  It was an enjoyable hike, and we were shocked to see all the cars in the trail head parking lot when we finished.  We had the whole trail to ourselves for this hike, and considered ourselves lucky.

_MG_1449

Since Mo and Sue have a four wheel drive high clearance vehicle, they offered to make a short trip into Kofa NWR in the afternoon.  We had hoped to do some kayaking, but the wind was blowing two sixty both days.  We only had time to do a portion of the most southern road into the refuge, but it was a treat for me since it became obvious that I could never drive my little Ford Focus in there.

_MG_1454

This road takes you close to Castle Dome.  I also noticed that there were more saguaros here in this part of the desert.  It must get more rain each year than Imperial.

_MG_1455

We had packed a lunch to take along, and ended up just standing by the car to munch as a stream of jeeps made their way past us.  Not bad scenery for a picnic!

_MG_1452

Shortly after eating, we had to turn around as the road continued to deteriorate.  Jeeps are definitely needed in this area.  We were also running out of time as I had to get back to the rig to prepare for a hot dog cookout in honor of Sue and Mo’s visit.  All the other volunteers came with a dish to share, and as usual there was more than enough to eat.  We ate and chatted and laughed the evening away until the mosquitoes chased everyone back to their rigs.  Is there a refuge in this country that isn’t plagued by mosquitoes?  I don’t think so.

_MG_1456

Oh, I almost forgot.  Remember that road sign I showed you last month showing a tank crossing area?  Well, on our way back from Kofa a tank actually went across in front of us, and today the air was filled with the sounds of machine guns and other ordinance exploding on the Yuma Proving Grounds.  Such odd sounds to be hearing while living on a National Wildlife Refuge.  One of those black stealth type jets came thundering overhead this evening also.  First time that’s happened here.  All that noise didn’t seem to bother the birds any.  Guess I’m pretty safe here surrounded by our Army warriors.

I bid Sue and Mo a fond farewell this morning as they headed out for Joshua Tree and eventually home.  I’m looking forward to seeing both of them again this summer when I’m in their home state of Oregon.  Thanks for stopping by Sue and Mo!  You helped lift my spirits.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

22 comments:

  1. I've found a few things in the Big Bend area where Sue would have come in handy. Asked the guy working the Visitor Center and his answer was " I don't know". We met Brigitta today. She is a very nice lady. We visited for a short time. She said you were inspiring her to learn more about birds. Go figure. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice visit with great people! I'm surprised the Army noises don't bother the birds, but I guess they are used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect team - you know the birds and Sue knows the geography! I agree, Sue and Mo are fun people to be around. Sure hope you enjoy your upcoming trip to Oregon. It's a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was fun! And now you know something more about geology, which makes living in the west much more interesting. Can't wait for Oregon, I"ve never been, so this is going to be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were able to get out on the hike and have such a good time with Sue and Mo. Shut out of kayaking again darn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another trip I'd like to have been along.... what an education you folks offer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have Sue and Mo give you a guided tour. Sue would certainly be able to answer a lot of questions. So, why doesn't anything grow there? No rain? Sorry you didn't get a chance to go kayaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great hike. Glad you were able to do it under your own steam:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting a little jealous. Really thinking of heading west next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't RV friends the best. Sounds like a wonderful time with good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad Sue and Mo stopped to visit you and that you were able to do that hike--good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy,

    If the picture you posted is of the vehicle at the tank crossing then what you saw was not a tank. That is a Stryker eight-wheel-drive armored combat vehicle. If it has wheels you can be assured that it is not a tank, tanks have continuous track, also called tank tread or caterpillar track.

    ReplyDelete
  13. another great day with friends who enjoy the same activities. . .nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Between you and Sue, you've got all bases covered. I think I need to book a visit with you both so I can get educated about everything! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you had your spirits lifted! Meeting fellow bloggers seems to do that and I speak from experience since we met Jerry and Wanda from 'Eggrollings' today! Such a nice surprise to meet them and to get a 'hello' from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh, fun times ... hiking and sharing grub with friends. That would boost anybody's spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We live with the sounds of bombing etc nearly every day from the two Air Bases near us. We like to think of it as the sound of freedom:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Arizona term for when there's water in the washes is "flooding". We haven't had much problem here in Florida with mosquitoes. Maybe they all went to Arizona 'cause they follow the bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great adventure you all had the weather was perfect But Skeeters?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now you could lead the entire facebook by including countless likes rapidly with no trouble.
    buy usa likes

    ReplyDelete