.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Taking stock

As has been my custom for the last five years or so, I like to spend New Year’s Eve reminiscing about the year that is about to come to a close.  Before I do that tonight, however, I just have to share two things that happened today.  It has been cold and windy for Arizona today, so I only left the rig once to run up to the VC to take care of some business.  As I was coming back a car pulled into the parking lot, and a woman asked if I was Judy.  I said yes, and it turned out to be Bob and Sue.  Some of you may remember the blog that Sue used to write called Just BS (or something like that).  It’s been a very long time since she posted, and I often wondered what happened to her and Bob.  As I remember, Bob had some health problems and most of the work of RVing fell on Sue’s shoulders.  I can report that they are doing well, although Sue is still the woman in charge.  What a surprise to meet them in Arizona.

Then, shortly before five this afternoon, Emma began giving me the stink eye in the rig.  (Her internal clock was telling her it was just about dinner time)  She was trying to annoy me anyway she could so I would feed her early.  I finally just grumped, “ Get off my back, and go look out the window or something!”  You know what?  She did just that.  She jumped on the couch to look out the window and started barking!  Then she ran to the front window and did the same thing.  More surround sound barking thanks to my hanging thunder gourd.  Emma is normally not much of a barker.  I was astounded and laughing out loud.  Do you really think they know what we’re saying??

Anyway, back to the first reason for this post… my travels and adventures with Emma in 2014.

75 Anahuac NWR 2013-201428

The beginning of the year found us back at Anahuac NWR.  I got to help with some duck banding using rocket nets this year.  Since Anahuac is close to I-10, there were also nice visits with other blogger friends who stopped in for a tour, and I made a February flying trip to Dyer, IN, for my grandgirl Avery’s birthday.  Chicago area in February with temps reaching –14*.  What was I thinking??

76 On the way to Tamarac 20145

By the middle of April, we were back on the road.  First stop was at Scott, LA, to have a new satellite DISH installed on top of the rig.  Sure wish I hadn’t waited eight years to have this improvement.  Of course I had to stop at Sueur's while there for a shrimp po-boy.  We took our time driving through Louisiana, but eventually put the pedal to the metal to get to Tamarac NWR in Minnesota by the middle of May.

77 Tamarac NWR 201412

We were there for the second time, and spent an enjoyable four months.  Finally found and ate my first morel mushrooms!  It was a grand time working with John and Bridget all summer, and all three of my kids and four of my grandkids made it up there for visits. 

77 Tamarac NWR 201413

Now Tamarac is somewhat off of the beaten track for travelers, so it was a real thrill to have three different blogging RV couples join us for fun times.  And of course I renewed my friendship with the unforgettable Mr. Smith who grows the tastiest vegetables in northern Minnesota!  Some day I’d like to see him wearing a shirt and clean pants.  In love  I also entered my first ever photo contest, and didn’t do too shabby on that account either. 

78 On the way to Imperial NWR2

Just before I left Tamarac, my brother Kurt flew up from Casa Grande, AZ, to be my traveling companion on the drive south.  What a good time we had visiting Theodore Roosevelt Nat’l Park, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Zion NP, and Bryce NP on our way to Arizona.  It sure was nice having someone to share the sights with.  Hopefully, this won’t be the last time we can do this.  (hint, hint?)

79 Imperial NWR 2014-154

Toward the end of October, Emma and I landed at our place for the winter at Imperial NWR.  This is my first time for an extended stay in the desert southwest.  With making a change to a more scenic volunteer site, I’m beginning to think about possibly returning next year.  Several blogger folks have stopped by so far with the possibility of more dropping in before I leave in April.  New and old friends and family visiting just adds icing to the cake of living in these beautifully wild places.

Well, that pretty much covers the highlights of this year.  For a number of years I have enjoyed posting an ending picture to many of my posts.  I most often catch the posterior view of wildlife, but occasionally there have been human subjects.  In honor of the dwindling of 2014 in mere hours, I leave you with my…

IMG_1010                                                                            THE END!!  Surprised smile

                                                           HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

43 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I so enjoy your blog. Camping down below the burn on Mittry Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, ya got me chuckling with that last picture alright. All the best in the New Year Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great year you have had and great end to the year!!!! Made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Your year end made me laugh :) Happy New Year Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh. . .your reminiscing brought back my envy of the glorious pics you got of the ladyslippers. . .beyond gorgeous.

    It was our absolute pleasure to have the privelege of meeting you in Minnesota. . .and hoping to touch base in AZ as well. . .haven't looked up the park to see where you are located in relation to our travels. . .putting that one on the list.

    and yes. . .I do believe animals can understand our language. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol!!! How nice to start the new year out with a full moon.

    Yes - I do plan to be in Yuma soon. Hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahahaha Well that sure made me laugh. You are such a kick Judy!! Looking forward to meeting Emma next time we are out your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I can't help but laugh. Good end to a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is THE best New Year's present I've gotten. I'm laughing so hard I have tears. Emma gives you the "stink eye' - I just love this. I can see it. Surround sound Barking set me off again. Yes for sure they know exactly what we're saying. I thought at this point I was home free and then you had to go post that THE END and I'm laughing out loud again. Happy Happy New Year to you The End Judy and to Miss Stink Eye Emma too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy it was so wonderful meeting you today and jibber-jabber with you for a few minutes. Yes, we are alive and doing well. Our travels have been remarkable therapy for Bob. It has been a long journey but we are blessed to be able to hit the road and strangely enough boondocking has allowed us the solitude to jump start his brain after the stroke. What a wonderful tour of duty you have there at Imperial. I can see why you love the Wildlife Refuges. We were lucky enough to see three wild Burro's on our way out of the refuge. Yahoo! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very funny and looks like 2014 was a great year for sure! Continued great travels in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a wonderful year. How the coming year treats you well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And a happy and safe 2015 for you and Emma!
    Oh yes, I do think our canine dependents know exactly what we are saying and sometimes what we are even thinking! What a smart girl Emma is!
    What a great " the end" you gave 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you and Emma! Looking forward to reading about ya'll adventures in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of these days hoping you will again be in Anahuac when we are traveing I10 between The Tx/LA state line to Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Emma is pretty smart and knows exactly what you are saying! You had a great year visiting so many pretty places:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year to you and Emma. Thank you for taking the time to write your blog. I love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recap and that has got to be your best "the end" yet!! I about fell off my chair! Yes, I think our dogs understand more than we give them credit for. Happens too often to be just coincidence. Wishing you and Emma all the best in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  19. NIce recap of your year. Just how many drinks had you had before you took your "the end" shot?

    Yes...I definitely think animals understand us. Baxter sure knows when Al says, "lets go to the bitty bite store"... I'll bet you don't know what means, but Baxter sure does!

    Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Meeting you was one of our highlights in 2014 maybe we will be able to swing thru the Imperial area on our way to San diego in Feb. Time will tell. Plans are loose right now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do such a great job re-capping your year.... right down to "the end". Love it! Wishing you a Happy New Year and more happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great recap of 2014, Judy - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic post...especially...THE END! What a crazy nut you are! You sure did have a wonderful year in 2014. Many more happy days in 2015 to you and Emma (who, of course, understands everything you are saying to her!). I hope to get back from Baja in time to finally meet you this year at Imperial and go on one of your world-famous bird tours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful year you had! Thanks for taking us along for the ride. By the way...that last photo is NOT your best side...lol
    Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year Judy and I'm in agreement with Paul and Marsha!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Judy you are brave woman to end up like that...lol
    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw, jeez! Leave it to you! A full moon for everyone and here I sit, giggling! May 2015 bring even greater adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I so love your recaps, Judy. Wonderful stuff with great laugh at the end..."the end". You have a sense of humor like no other. Must be why everyone loves to visit you so much. Nice also to hear how Bob and Susan are doing. I, too, followed them along when she was posting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That last shot gave me a good laugh! Hope to stop by and finally meet you when we're in Yuma. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoyed your photos and the comments about your year. I so enjoyed meeting you at Imperial NWR and seeing your campsite. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I believe our four-legged friends are so smart and know what we are saying! Good girl Emma! Great post Judy, what a wonderful life you are living.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great summary and so easy to know when I got to the end:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've had another amazing year!
    Looking forward to reading about where 2015 takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. YOU are the BEST!!! Here's to another great and fun year for our Birdlady of Blogland!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your butt, I mean your blog. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Always enjoy the year summaries, best 'The End' ever

    ReplyDelete
  37. No butts about it, Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete