.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Had to call for help today

My morning was spent in a staffing meeting and helping to run the VC, but this afternoon I got to rove.  Roving is probably my favorite assignment at this refuge.  I like to get one of the electric carts and patrol Swamp Island Drive.  IMG_1957

It seems to me that people are more willing to chat with me when I’m driving around in this as opposed to a truck.  It’s not very intimidating.  It also helps that I plug along at much less than 10 mph.  The openness of this vehicle allows me to hear any bird songs to investigate, and I can easily reach out to pick up any litter along the way.

As I got about half way to the Chesser Homestead, I had to stop dead in the road.

IMG_1715

It seems some staff members were cutting down a large dead tree along the drive that could fall across the road. I was asked to halt traffic just in case the tree fell the wrong way.  Guess I can add traffic director to my resume.  Winking smile  It wasn’t long before that big old dead pine tree was…

IMG_1717 IMG_1718 IMG_1719

                                                       Going… Going… Going…

IMG_1956

                                                                                  Gone!

It was pretty windy and chilly out there today, so I was driving with my gloves on.  I talked with several folks and directed one couple as to where to find the pitcher plants.

IMG_1926

Found an Eastern phoebe along the off-road trail to the secret pond along with a mother load of sun dew plants.  Sun dews are one of my favorites, but I wasn’t too satisfied with my pics of them so I’ll go back again when I have my rubber boots with me.  I just couldn’t get close enough today.  There were also some candyroot plants blooming, so I guess spring really is here even though it doesn’t feel like it.

As I made my way around the loop heading back to the VC, I noticed that the cart seemed to be going slower and slower.  I went from a speed of 7 mph down to 4 mph down to 2 mph down to 0 mph with the gas (electric) pedal to the floor!  Uh oh. 

IMG_1953

Yep, it crapped out on me with several miles to go.  I decided to give it a rest for a while before turning on the ignition again. 

IMG_1942

As I was waiting, this fellow perched nearby.  Hmm… turkey vultures only eat dead stuff.  What did he know that I didn’t??  Thankfully, I had my radio with me and notified the VC that I was stranded.  Some one would be sent to rescue me.

IMG_1947 IMG_1949

The vulture must have been listening, as it soon took off for greener pastures.  I did get the cart to move about another 1/2 mile down the road, but then it died again.  I took out the key, and hopped into the intern’s vehicle back to the VC.  I’ll try to get the cart back to the barn tomorrow morning to get fixed.  The battery was almost fully charged so that was not the problem today.  Who knows what the cause was.

I’ve had the sniffles for the last day or so, and am liberally applying Mentholatum to my nose tonight.  Hope that is short lived.  I’m thinking that major surgery has kicked my immune system in the kiester for a bit.  Sad smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

21 comments:

  1. At least you had your radio, that was good. They say going under anesthesia is really hard on your body. Hope you don't get really sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a pretty fancy golf cart compared to the one I'll be using, an older gas model with an open bed in the back where I keep tools, water for dousing campfires, etc. Glad help was close at hand. You will certainly not be up to your old self and energy level for a while - take it easier than usual while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vulture probably took notice of the 'dead' cart and will bring his friends back tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used an open golf cart to patrol the grounds at our gig in South Carolina. I loved prowling the property roads and hanging out with the birds. Maggie enjoyed it also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extra nice that you at least had a radio with you. It does take awhile to fully recuperate from some surgery, I am sure. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had your radio with you. It will be interesting to read what the issue is.

    They are cutting acres of dead pines trees here in Houston. They are all dead due to lack of rain. It is very said to see the holes in the park scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought that was a very groovy little cart you were driving. Maybe a few racing stripes & some orange flame decals on the fenders by the wheels;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drink lots of oj. I also tried this new stuff called Emergen-C. It is loaded with vitamin C. I do believe it made a huge difference. It comes in a box with 10 packets. There are different flavors and you just stir it in a small glass of water. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got to do the roving you love even though the cart decided it didn't want to go back home. Sometimes we all feel that way. Hope the cold is just a 24 hour thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool electric carts you have at that refuge. Those radios are life savers, I'm sure you would not want to walk back to the V.C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully a good nights sleep will make you strong enough to fight off the cold. If not, after you get the car back, go home and take a nap. Stay out of the chill till you are over it. I'll think of you as I drink yet another glass of water! Join me, it's good for fighting a cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try Airborne if you don't like Emergen-C. My husband likes Emergen-C, but I like Airborne. Just drop an Airborne tablet in a half glass of water and wait for it to dissolve. You can take it every four hours which is what I've been doing and I've only had a very mild sore throat, then a half-day of laryngitis, otherwise no cold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that golf cart (as long as it keeps running)... it would be nice to use something that's quiet instead of the Gators that I'm used to. Glad you had your radio with you... Seems like a lot of folks here have the sniffles.. or worse... hope you are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like those GEM electric carts, they work well, but when they break...$$$! Hopefully the sequester nonsense won't delay repairs. You've got lots of pictures out there just waiting to be snapped! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Conveniences are convenient only when they work. Otherwise, they are inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great looking species! And how nice of them to drop by on a beautiful day. Great snapshots!

    -Asheville Tree Service

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww too bad your little cart piddled out on you. (now if that was in Steve's park, he would have made sure it was good working order for you!) Glad you had your radio/phone along and saved a long walk back!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would wonder what the vulture knew as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear only the car ran out of go juice. Hope you don't. I don't get sick enough to really enjoy it but a good hot buttered rum or applejack sure used to fix me up. Think its been twenty years since I was sick though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate when things break while I am driving them...At least you got help fast...DO NOT get the crud that is circulating ..it is not fun..

    ReplyDelete
  21. When those vehicles loose their charge it all over. Looks like a fun way to rove the area.

    ReplyDelete