.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, December 15, 2012

A little drive, a furry visitor, and a response from my brother

I had planned to head for Kingsland to do grocery shopping and some errands this morning, but thought better of it considering it was Saturday and one of my stops was Wal*Mart.  I really didn’t want to battle those weekend crowds so close to Christmas, so I decided to wait until Monday afternoon for those chores.  Instead, I just drove into Folkston to get some milk and bread to tide me over.
IMG_1352 (2)
Since I can no longer take Emma for a walk, we hopped into the car in the afternoon so she could at least experience the sights and smells of the Swamp Island Drive.  Since the sun had finally come out, mama gator was basking away as we drove by.  I didn’t see her little one, though.
IMG_1358 (2)
Not much wildlife was out and about at that time in the afternoon, but we did see an Eastern phoebe hawking insects from this branch.  Phoebes have the habit of almost constantly pumping their tails up and down when perched.  It took us an hour to do the eight mile loop, and we were soon back at the rig.
As we sat outside, Emma went into defender mode and began yodeling away.  I grabbed my camera to look around to see what had upset her so.
71 Okefenokee NWR 2012-1328
Aha!  One of the very large fox squirrels had come to visit the Volunteer Village.  We have several varieties of live oak surrounding the rigs, and this guy was taking advantage of the abundant acorns.  As I crept up on it, I could actually hear it crunching away on the acorns.  It was not bothered a bit by my approach or by Emma’s throaty barking.  I’d say there’s plenty of natural food available for these squirrels as this one seemed very well fed.  I just hope it stays away from my bird feeders.
In last night’s post I alluded to the fact that I had reservations about my brother and me consuming some of his turkey chile in the enclosed space of the RV.  This morning, I received an email from him with a response to my concerns should we so indulge.  I include it here:
61845_448867171837952_1041616976_n
                              Winking smile  Yep, he got it right, except I’ll be the one with the cane in hand!
Many other bloggers have posted about the tragedy in Connecticut yesterday in a manner much better than I could.  I am very saddened, as we all are, about what’s happened.  What better reason then to seize the day (Carpe Diem)!
Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. We enjoyed the cartoon very much! Thanks to your brother for sending and you for posting! Great mama gator photo. Don't you just love animals' expressions!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he soaks the beans in cold water in the fridge, you are less likely to have problems. Toot toot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brother has a good sense of humor like you. Maybe a little Beano on board would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hearty chuckle...okay, I laughed out loud at that cartoon. Seems you and bro have the same DNA sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cartoon. What a hoot. . . or toot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cartoon! Happy chili eating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sieze the day indeed! enjoy the chili, but not the 'music' afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chile with an E, hope that mean green chiles and not a misspelling

    ReplyDelete
  9. The humor must be in the family genes; Carpe Diel indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those fox squirrels are cool- so big. It might be too much to hope that they won't give the bird feeder a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, Is there a dog park nearby where you could take Emma for some exercise.?

    We have some very good friends spending the winter in Folkston, on Hwy. 121.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, that made me laugh out loud! Great sense of humor in your family. The 2 of you will do just fine, chili or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cartoon thanks for the laugh.

    I too cannot say much again today about this tragedy. It just breaks my heart every time I think about it. The tears flow freely.

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your photos. But, how do you know that this was a female gator? Is there some kind of visual cue?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can tell you and your brother are going to have a great time together and now you'll have to make that chili and use all the suggestions for pre soaking, soaking in the refrig, beano and whatever else. Then send us the picture of you two on the sofa! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I would like your brother as much as I like you...Familial humor!! That Fox Squirrel is going to test you and your feeders..I can see it in his little smug face!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoot 'n Toot - that's a good one! Yeah, set your camera up on a self-timer, you (with cane) and your bro on the couch... I guess one grinning and the other grimacing?

    You are right, Judy. Enjoy each moment of the day as best we can. Seize the moment. Love the kids.

    Nickie

    ReplyDelete
  18. How to beautify Hotel Rooms and Lobby with Flowers
    The way the internal of a resort are usually decorated affects a variety customer that gets, considerably pay attention to this can. As a lodge or resort employer you know the meaning associated with blossoms decoration in interiors. We tend to can't think any kind of resort lobby or space with no (For more detail Visit this link):http://www.hotelmanagementtutorial.com/how-to-beautify-hotel-rooms-and-lobby-with-flowers

    ReplyDelete